1.18.2009

Sultry Sunday #18 - The weekly "Pop Sensation" crossover

Someday Maughta will post something new - til then, you get this. Enjoy:

-----
Paperback 189: Signet D1628 (1st ptg, 1959)

Title: The Sound and the Fury
Author: William Faulkner
Cover artist: photo



Best things about this cover:

  • Best thing? Hmmm. I can't decide. It's either the sound or the fury.
  • I see the "Fury" (Yul Brenner tries to strangle Joanne Woodward) - the "Sound"? I guess it's the sound of me gasping at the sight of Yul Brenner with hair.
  • This blue tint is so dark that it renders the picture almost irrelevant. I love the hand-drawn fon on the title. Makes the book look like an adaptation of a wacky Disney movie.

Best things about this back cover:

  • "DECAY" - Why would I read any farther after that? That is perhaps the best single-word tagline I've ever seen on a book. And the bright, whimsical font! Inspired.
  • By the picture, I would surmise that this is the story of an aging pirate with a bad hairpiece and massive pit stains who wants nothing more than for Maria from "Sound of Music" to admire his chest hair.

Page 123~

"Oh, forget your damned clothes. Does your eye hurt?"


I can't believe I just Page 123'd William Faulkner. John Faulkner, sure, but William? The indignity!

~RP

2 comments:

xenobiologista said...

"I love the hand-drawn fon on the title. Makes the book look like an adaptation of a wacky Disney movie."

Actually I was thinking Yahoo! should sue.

Kevin said...

DECAY! The new web indexing site which lists broken links, abandoned pages, and missing images.